Welcome to Fly Fishing the
This site is dedicated to the fly fishermen that fish the Sierra Nevada
Region of California. This site will assist in locating the necessary information to locate
sites to fish, what flies to choose, and how to tie them. I've included maps of the region along with links to those
fly shops and guides who serve the area. There is a Fly Fishing Club link page with fly fishing clubs throughout California. Many of these clubs are members of the Federation of Fly Fishers.
I started this web site in 2002 with the intent to retain information about fly fishing the Sierra for my personal use. The internet allows you to easily share this information and, over time, it has morphed into something that I am proud to share. To help cover costs, I have included an online store for Fly Tying Materials and Tools. In 2012, I enlarged the store to include tackle items such as Fly Lines, Leaders, Tippets, and indicators. This site is not sponsered in any way. I have no commercial advertising. The graphics are simple and the content allows for quick viewing. Starting in 2013, I introduced a new line of fishing maps using Google Terrain imagery in conjunction with National Geographic Topo maps. Streambed features and structures are identified from Satelite images. Identifications of the stream locations come from the local guides who serve that area.
I hope you enjoy this site. Please feel free to contact me with any comment you have pertaining to this site. Since I use many links to other sites, links can get broken and lost over time. Your feedback will assist in keeping the information current.
Regards, Steve Schalla (aka Stevenojai)
Fly Fishing Maps
Took me 10 years, but I finally got it done!!
- 4 maps available covering the Sierra Tahoe Region
- Hatch Chart with Insect Identification
- Suggested Flies
- Fishing Season and Regulations
- Stream Etiquette
- GPS Longitude and Latitude
- Trailheads and Trails
- MYLF Restoration Sites
- Mile Markers
- Fish Identification
- Topographic Relief
- Printed on Rite-in-the-Rain Paper, Waterproof and writeable
- Only $12.95 per map.
Eastern Sierra, Westside, and Eastern Sierra maps are available, too!
Also Detailed Maps Available: "The Owens River Series" , "Kern River Series", "Kings River Series", "Carson River Series"
We are honored to provide a wide range of Fly Fishing Equipment as a dealer for Snowbee USA. Snowbee originated in the United Kingdom in 1984 and became reknown for the origination of breathable Lightweight Waders. They have expanded their line to include: fly rods, reels, fly lines, waders, nets, clothing, and other fly fishing gear. Check out their web site at: Snowbee-USA
Fly Fishing the Sierra is an online dealer for Snowbee USA and we can provide all of their products to our customers with direct shipping from the Snowbee distribution center in California.
The online store also provides the flytying materials listed within the fly patterns. For every pattern shown within the flybox, the online store has the necessary material to complete that pattern. Just click the item shown within the material list.
Over 1700 fly tying materials on sale at competitive pricing. Get Top Quality materials from J. Fair, Whiting, Hareline, Nature's Spirit, Umpqua, Trout Hunter, Cascade Tools, Mad River and more. Expect 3-5 day delivery. Purchase securely through PayPal. US Domestic sales only.
Free Native Trout Guide
PDF created by WildTroutStreams.com in partnership with FlyFishingtheSierra.com. Provides illustrations and descriptions of 24 of the most sought after species of trout in the lower-48 United States. Click Streamside Guide for your free download.
New Pattern in the flybox. This pattern was used by our Youth USA Fly Fishing team that won the World Championships in 2014 and 2015. The Czechs banned the fly unless the tendrils are 1 cm or less. Guess what you would have....a Czech Nymph!
Some Interesting Facts about the Sierra:
- There are 20 major Rivers, 14 on the West Side and 6 on the East Side. These are within over 24 watershed areas.
- Historically, there were no trout in the Sierra above 6000 feet. Except for Goldens in the Upper Kern and Lahontan Cutthroats within the Carson, Walker, and Truckee River Drainage.
- Starting in the mid 1800's, trout have been stocked into 85% of all the lakes in the Sierra over 2 acres in size.
- There are 649 lakes in Inyo, Sierra, and Toiyabe National Forests of at least 25 acres between 10660' and 11,480' elevation. 85% of these lakes contain trout:
- 60% Brooks
- 36% Rainbows
- 32% Goldens
- 5% Browns
- There are 1,404 lakes above 7,900' elevation within the Sierras. Of these lakes, trout are in 63%, the rest fishless: (Jenkins 1994)
- Goldens are in 36% of all lakes
- Rainbows are in 33% of all lakes
- Brookies are in 16% of all lakes
- Browns are in 8% of all lakes
- Lahontan Cutthroats are in 1/2% of all lakes
- Fish Planting ended within most of the Sierran National Parks beginning in 1970. Today, Sierran National Forests have 85% of their lakes with fish and the National Parks have 40%.
California Freshwater Fishing Regulations
California Fishing Regulations Map
California DWF Fishing Guide Map
Charlie's Fly Box
Dave's Sierra Fishing
Danish Fly Design-Tommy Olinsson
Fly Fishing Addicts Forum
Fly Anglers Online
Fly Tying Bug
Fly Tying Forum
Global Fly Fisher
Hans Weilenmann's Fly Tier's Page
High Sierra Topix
Kern River Fish Reports
Kiene's Fly Shop Forum
North. Calif. Fly Fishing Forum
Southwest Council Fed of Flyfishers
The Itinerant Angler
Washington Fly Fishing
Source Material: Library
What IS Fly Buy?
Part fishing tackle garage sale, part fly-fishing carnival and all fun.
When: February 01, 2020 Time: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Where: Long Beach Casting Club - 4901 E 7th St, Long Beach, CA 90804
Golden Trout Wilderness Packers
Ever thought about becoming a wrangler angler? The Golden Trout Wilderness Packers can bring you to some of the best fishing sites in the Sierra. Visit the Upper Kern River at Big Kern Lake, Grasshopper Flat, or Hole-in-the-Ground. Your hosts, Steve Day can provide a home cooked meal and lodging at the Pack Station. Visit their web site at: goldenpacktrains.com